When you own your business, saving for retirement often takes a backseat to put money into the practice you’re trying to make successful. Many people even take money from their retirement accounts to fund their life transitions or businesses. The truth is the earlier you plan for retirement, the better it can be. Waiting until your 40s (or later) to think about it can be detrimental to your future goals.
In this episode of Wealthy Woman Lawyer®, Davina welcomes guest Darren Wurz to deep dive into the topic of investing and retirement for lawyers. Darren is a fee-only financial advisor and co-owner of his family’s business, Wurz Financial Services. He is a Certified Financial Planner with a master’s degree in financial planning from Golden Gate University. Darren is also a podcast host and author of The Lawyer Millionaire and specializes in helping attorneys meet their financial goals.
- Why Darren transitioned from his role as a science teacher to joining the family business as a financial planner, and why he did the one thing he tells his clients never to do
- The real reason Darren chose to work specifically with lawyers, and the inspiration for writing his book
- Some of the unique challenges he’s faced with law firms and lawyer clients that set them apart from other businesses and individuals
- Common mistakes lawyers make when they receive a lump sum and how to avoid the “wealth effect”
- Why it’s important to evaluate what you want your future to look like early in your career
- A breakdown of the way compounding interest and early investing can exponentially increase your wealth
- The reason it’s okay to want your business to make money and serve your clients at the same time
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
- Visit Darren’s site, The Lawyer Millionaire®.
- The Lawyer Millionaire book
- Listen to The Lawyer Millionaire Podcast: https://wurzfinancialservices.com/category/podcasts/
- Connect with Darren on LinkedIn
- The Lawyer Millionaire on Facebook
- Visit Darren’s Instagram
- Find The Lawyer Millionaire on Twitter
- The Lawyer Millionaire on TikTok
- 3 Stages from Law Firm Solo to CEO – https://go.wealthywomanlawyer.com/training
- Connect with us on Instagram
- Join our free Facebook community
- Show our sponsor, NoBull Marketing, some love.
- Schedule an appointment with NoBull Marketing.
- Reach out to Optimize My Firm
- Visit our sponsor- Gavel.io!
Note: Wealthy Woman Lawyer® may have an affiliate relationship with the podcast sponsors and be compensated for referrals.